Health Benefits of Garlic in Diabetes (Garlic benefits for diabetes) – Garlic is a flavorful and versatile ingredient that is widely used in cooking. It is also known for its medicinal properties and is believed to have a lot of health benefits. One of the most common questions that people with diabetes have got in their minds is whether or not garlic is good for them.
Is Garlic Good For Diabetes Patients | Can Diabetics Eat Garlic
Yes, the Consumption of garlic is very beneficial for diabetes patients. 80% of diabetes patients are at risk of being affected by some other problems related to the heart. Garlic is known to reduce high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, which are the main causes of heart disease. In such a situation, consuming garlic not only helps in controlling sugar but also reduces the risk of heart disease. Not only this, it is beneficial for many problems caused by diabetes.
Keep reading to know more about the Health Benefits of Garlic in Diabetes, Garlic benefits for diabetes, benefits of garlic, disadvantages of Garlic, and How to Eat Garlic in Diabetes.
Also Read: What is Diabetes?
Table of Contents
- Is Garlic Good For Diabetes Patients | Can Diabetics Eat Garlic
- Health Benefits of Garlic in Diabetes | Garlic benefits for diabetes
Health Benefits of Garlic in Diabetes | Garlic benefits for diabetes
- According to several studies, consuming garlic in moderation (at least one clove per day) in type 2 diabetes patients can help control their blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
- According to the NCBI, the results of 9 studies on garlic and diabetes showed a significant reduction in fasting sugar levels within 1-2 weeks of people who consumed 0.05-1.5 grams of garlic per day.
- Additionally, the sugar level in the A1C test dropped significantly for 12 weeks.
- Apart from this, the consumption of garlic is also beneficial in reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol and increasing HDL (good) cholesterol.
- Garlic may keep your heart healthy by lowering blood pressure and may reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems (such as heart attack and stroke) in diabetic patients with high blood pressure.
- Eating garlic in diabetes is also beneficial because the glycemic index (GI) score of garlic is also very low, between 10 and 30 and therefore there is no possibility of increasing blood sugar due to its consumption.
- A 2006 study found that raw garlic may help lower blood sugar levels as well as reduce the risk of atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is a disease in which ‘plaque’ builds up inside your arteries. A person suffering from diabetes is at higher risk of developing atherosclerosis disease than a healthy person.
- Garlic is also a good source of vitamin B-6 and vitamin C. Vitamin B-6 is involved in carbohydrate metabolism. Vitamin C may also play a role in maintaining blood sugar levels.
- Garlic is also very low in calories and carbohydrates, which further makes it an ideal herb for diabetes management.
Also Read: A Simple List of Indian Foods for Diabetics
In Ayurveda, garlic is considered the nectar of the earth. It is also beneficial for many problems caused by diabetes. Let us know about more benefits of garlic:-
Benefits of garlic
- Helps in improving the health of the cardiovascular system by lowering the levels of cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood lipids.
- Helpful in reducing blood pressure.
- Helps in preventing tumor formation in the body.
- Helps in stopping the growth of cancer cells.
- Rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties.
If a healthy person consumes garlic in limited quantity, then it has advantages only, but we also consider it necessary to give information about some of its disadvantages.
Also Read: Foods that lower blood sugar instantly
Disadvantages of Garlic
Garlic is very strong in both taste and smell. Although it is generally safe to eat, some people may experience minor side effects from consuming it or if you consume it in excess then these disadvantages or health problems affect you:-
- Stomach irritation
- If you are taking blood thinners, consult your doctor. Consuming garlic can enhance the effect of these medicines.
Also Read: Garlic for hemorrhoids
How to Eat Garlic in Diabetes | How to consume garlic for diabetes
- You can use garlic while making dishes or vegetables.
- If you like the taste and aroma of garlic, then you can also add it to your salad.
- Many people like to eat garlic on an empty stomach in the morning, so you can eat it like this too.
What are the disadvantages of eating garlic?
Garlic is very effective in both taste and smell. Although it is generally safe to eat, some people may experience minor side effects from consuming it. These side effects include:
if you are taking blood-thinning medications, consult your doctor. Consuming garlic can enhance the effect of these medicines.
Does garlic raise blood sugar?
Garlic does not raise blood sugar levels significantly. Some studies have suggested that consuming garlic may have a beneficial effect on blood sugar control in people with diabetes.
How to consume garlic for diabetes?
A diabetic can consume garlic by adding it to dishes, and salads, or even eat 1-2 cloves on an empty stomach in the morning.
Can diabetes patients eat garlic?
Yes, people with diabetes can eat garlic as part of a healthy diet.
Does garlic have any benefit for diabetes patients?
Yes, garlic may help control blood sugar levels and improve cholesterol levels in people with diabetes. Also you can read about its benefits in this article.
Can garlic be consumed raw by diabetes patients?
Many people like to eat garlic on an empty stomach in the morning, so you can eat 1-2 garlic cloves on an empty stomach in the morning.
How much garlic should a diabetes patient consume?
It is recommended to consume at most 2-4 cloves of garlic per day for diabetes patients.
Are there any precautions diabetes patients should take while consuming garlic?
Diabetes patients should consult with their healthcare provider before consuming large amounts of garlic because it has some side effects too if consumed in large quantities.
You Can Read This Article In Hindi By Clicking This Link.
This article explains detailed information about the Health Benefits of Garlic in Diabetes, Garlic benefits for diabetes, benefits of garlic, disadvantages of Garlic, How to Eat Garlic in Diabetes, etc. We hope you’ll find everything you needed to know.